27.2.12

Perfect Your Resume With a Free Resume Builder

After graduating college, I thought finding a job was difficult, but my more recent experiences were even more frustrating! I stayed home with my children for a little over 2 years and, for the job market, that is a very long time. I applied for job after job before I realized something needed to change. Yes, I had all of the past experience needed, but I needed a way to accurately convey what makes me a good candidate for each job.

There are many ways to prepare for the job market, but unless you know how to portray them neatly and informatively in a resume, they don't do you much good! I honestly had never written out a professional resume and had no idea what to do, so I took to the internet. There are many sites that make you pay for services, but for those of us on a budget, this is not always possible. Using a free resume builder is a great way to get started.

The first part of a resume employers will read is the cover letter. This is the part where you can really show your personality and what sets you apart from other candidates! I have the most trouble with the cover letter, which is why a service can really help you focus and help pinpoint important information to include along with the proper form the letter should follow. As for the resume, there are many different ways to make yours look professional. I found that it is important to include not only past work experience, but other activities and experiences that are relevant to the job. For example, if you have volunteered at a hospital in the past and are applying for a job in the medical field, this is definitely something to include! If you haven't volunteered in the past, this is a great idea and will be a perfect addition to any resume.

With today's job market, we definitely need all the help we can get, especially with making a great first impression on an employer. That's why perfecting a resume is the first step to landing a job, so start researching today and make your resume. You never know when it will come in handy.

I am participating in a blogger campaign by Bucks2Blog and was compensated for this post. However, the views and opinions expressed are solely my own. 

14 comments:

Ellen said...

Great resource. I just updated my resume last week. It never hurts to keep a current one on file.

Ladybug Crossing said...

That's a great resource! Thanks for telling us all about it. I'm going to pass this on to a friend of mine who is starting over.
Thanks again!
LBC

kailani said...

I used to be an Employment Manager and I agree . . . outside activities that give you practical work experience should always be included! :-)

Marina@EBMR said...

Definitely! You can never stop at "updating" and "upgrading" your resume.Its a dog eat dog professional world out there and you HAVE to have your best kit out!

Cathi said...

Wow! I've got a lot of homework to do on my resume. Thank you so much for the great advise. ;D

Kimberly Storms said...

Thank you for this review. The world of resumes is not a small one and it hard to know just what is perfect these days!

Aleksandra Nearing said...

Good resumes make a wonderful first impression. I find it helps to tailor it depending on the type of job, too.

Rita said...

Great resource. I so need to update my resume

Julee said...

I've been thinking about updating my resume. THis is a great resource! Thank you!

slehan said...

Very important to have a good resume. Thanks for the info.

Vanessa said...

great for those who are looking to find a new job like I am!

Karen Coutu said...

What a great tip! I really do need to update my resume again.

The Freebie Junkie said...

Always have your resume handy and updated as you never know.

free resume builder said...

Some good points here, had great time reading this. Thanks.

Post a Comment