23.7.12

Preparing For The Mom & Daughter Period Talk #KotexMom



In my last period post, I wrote about my experience of getting my period for the very first time, how my parents never talked to me about it and how my mom was actually out of town with it finally arrived. I was a late bloomer, had no idea what to do and my dad was utterly clueless! This is why it is so important for me to do this the right way for Rylee. I don't want to make the same mistakes and want to make this experience a special moment between mom and daughter. The "big talk" is nearing and, yes, I am a bit anxious about what questions will be asked and how the talk will go, but I am doing my research and preparing because I want this to be a great memory, not something awkward and embarrassing.

In honor of the big day approaching, I wanted to list a few tips for you moms out there who are also preparing for this day. It's amazing how quickly our daughters grow up, so even if your girls are still toddlers, believe me, the years fly by and, before you know it, you'll have little woman on your hands asking many, many questions! I know I do! I found some great helpful suggestions and ideas on the Kotex Tween website, though, so here are some fun ways to approach the period talk and how to be confident when the time comes.
  • Do your research! Children can tell when we are holding back or when we feel uncomfortable about a subject. Take the time to look up information about the subject and educate yourself. You should know about the body, why we get our period and much more. You never know what will be asked, so be prepared!
    • Whether you are a mom or a daughter, the Kotex Tween site has invaluable information about and is dedicated to answering your questions about getting your period. It's a great place to look for answers, suggestions and can even help prepare you, as a mom, prepare for the talk.
  • Be open and honest - Daughters can tell if you are holding back. Be open, honest and tell her the important info she needs to know without overwhelming her. Answer questions and let her know you are there for her! Make her feel like this is something special for young women and that all women go through this. 
  • Purchase some products -Buy a few different U by Kotex Tween products for your daughter so she can get a first-hand look at them and ask questions about how they are used. Show her there is nothing to be afraid of or embarrassed. The designs on the boxes and products are made just for teens and tweens, making them approachable and cool. Rylee loved the ones she received. 
  • Have a Mom-Daughter Day - Make the day all about her! Get relaxed with a mani-pedi, go to an arcade or do something you know she really enjoys. Have a lunch or dinner together and start talking! Before you know it, you'll be chatting about periods effortlessly.
  • Let her know about the Hello Period Site. - There may be a lot of information to cover and you don't want to overwhelm your daughter, right? Tell her about the Kotex Hello Period website, which answers many, many questions for teens and tweens, helping them understand their period much better. They will learn facts, myths and can read experiences about other teens and tweens getting their period.
I can honestly say that I've learned more about periods and my own body since becoming a Kotex Tween Mom Ambassador and I want to put that knowledge to good use by passing it on to Rylee. I don't want her to be so confused and embarrassed like I was at her age. I've already begun thinking about the day we will spend together and have our period talk, but that's for the next post! So, if the day for a big period talk is nearing for you, keep the suggestions above in mind and take a look at the information available through the links, too. I can't wait to see how your own talks go and hope it ends up being a great experience for both you and your daughter. I am confident it will be for us!

Disclosure: I wrote this review while participating in a Brand Ambassador Campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of U by Kotex Tween and received products to facilitate my post and a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate.

1 comments:

brett said...

I think its so important to give our girls the information and knowledge BEFORE they need it!

Post a Comment