26.11.12

U By Kotex Brings Moms and Daughters Together For The Big Talk #KotexMom

I was so excited when picked to be a U By Kotex Mom Ambassador this June and have had such a great time writing posts and participating in all of the fun activities over the past 6 months. When I was a young girl just getting my period for the first time, it was a confusing time because my mom never took the time to talk to me about it. Everything she did share with me was how horrible it was, so when I got my period I was completely clueless. Plus, my mom was out of town when the big day finally arrived. There was no way I would ever let this happen with Rylee. I want her to have the opposite experience and to embrace change and womanhood. I think this is something important for all girls and moms should take the time to answer questions, be there for them and let them know what to expect.
Checking out the U by Kotex products for the first time!
 Before the ambassadorship began, I had not yet spoken to Ry about her period and, honestly, I was in denial about how quickly she is growing into a beautiful young woman. When I started writing my "period posts" I realized she was ready for these talks and I knew she would have many questions. Over the past 6 months, I've had the opportunity to speak with Ry several times about her period and what to expect. I can tell such an attitude change now! At the beginning, she was very shy and would get embarrassed when I brought up the subject. Now, she openly asks me questions and is very prepared for when the day arrives.
Big girl at the beach this summer.
In particular, I really enjoyed our Mom & Daughter Day Out we shared a few months ago. We went out to eat and just spent some time without the boys around. I was able to focus completely on her and she loved every minute of the attention. Having girl time is so important and, from my own experience, I know she will cherish this moments when she grows up. I fondly remember dates with my mom when we would go out to eat or to the movies.
Showing me her U by Kotex Pads!
Rylee also had a chance to check out the U by Kotex products and has remarked several times how "cool" they are. I love that they are just for tweens, have different designs and are colorful. This makes them less scary for first-timers and more fun to use, too. She was actually excited to start carrying around her period emergency pack in her backpack. It is discretely hidden and her little secret, which is exciting for her.

U by Kotex has definitely brought us closer together and I am so grateful for this opportunity. We've shared all the talks I wish I'd had with my own mom and we've had a great time doing so. I was able to find some great information on the Kotex website. Your daughter can also find answer to questions and other period information on the U by Kotex Hello Period website. Just click on the U by Kotex link above.

Have you talked to your daughter about her period or did you before she started? Did it bring you closer together?


I wrote this review while participating in a Brand Ambassador Campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of U by Kotex Tween and received products to facilitate my post and a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate.

3 comments:

Carol L. said...

How wonderful how far Kotex has come when it comes to tweenies. :) It's such a personal time and I agree that it does make you closer. I raised 5 daughters and once the oldest who got hers first was told I didn't have to start from the beginning every time because they started talking to each other but we always had the mom/daughter talks.
Carol L
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

jill24295 said...

I just had a chance to try this product line recently and really liked how it performed. I was shocked when I went to purchase it, however, at how much more expensive it is compared to other brands. I wish it were just a little more affordable.

Unknown said...

My mom never had the talk with me and it made my first period scary. I will be planning on better informing my daughter if I have one (I just have a boy now, but eventually he will be educated on periods too so he can be mature and supportive of his future wife)

Post a Comment