6.9.10

Castile Soap 101: The Basics

 I recently completed a review for Kiss My Face Peace Soaps, their newest line of castile soaps created to raise money and awareness for the Arab-Israeli conflict. I've also used Dr. Bronner's castile soap to make wipe solutions (HERE's a link to that post), but this is the first time I've ventured into other areas. With two boys and being staying at home Mama, we are definitely on a budget! Our family also mainly uses natural and organic products so, I've found that castile soap is the perfect solution!

What?
Castile soap dates back to the 1560s and is still widely used today. It can be used to clean just about anything, from teeth and hair to dishes and clothes, it really is a magic soap! Castile soaps are environmentally safe, most are vegetable based  and vegan.(be sure to read the label). Safe for sensitive skin and babies, castile soaps use natural ingredients, contain no SLS and parabens, or any of those icky ingredients and artificial fragrances that can cause rashes and allergies.They also come in two forms, liquid and bar soap!
Grated Castile Bar Soap
 Where?
I encourage everyone to go out and buy some castile soap. Where? Dr. Bronner's is sold almost everywhere, including Kroger chains and Target, which surprised me. Take some time to smell the different varieties! My favorites at the moment are almond and lavender.

How?
So, how do you actually use the castile soap? It's very simple! The soaps are very strong, which allows you to dilute them without losing their power to clean sufficiently. Dr. Bronner's has a great list of suggested dilutions for different uses. You don't have to dilute them before using, but this will help make the soap last for a much long period of time and help you save money! Once you get the hang of using castile soap, you can also add essential oils, herbs and other smelly good ingredients. Many essential oils have therapeutic properties, too. For example, Tea Tree Oil is a great antibacterial, which is why I use in for my wipe solutions, and Lavender is known for aiding sleep and soothing tired muscles.
Liquid Tea Tree Oil Castile Soap
So, those are the basics, but I'll be posting some recipes in the near future. I'm going to test out a few I found online this week first. I'll be making hand soap, shampoo, and an all-purpose spray! Wish me luck!

Have a wonderful Labor Day Holiday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment